[Buddha-l] Life of Buddha by Tezuka

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Wed Mar 5 08:50:49 MST 2008

On Mar 4, 2008, at 6:59 PM, [DPD Web] Shen Shi'an wrote:

> To share...
>
> A negative review of Tezuka's 'Buddha' series:
> http://moonpointer.com/index.php?itemid=618

It seems a little naive to me to expect a manga to be "literally"
accurace in every detail of each character and event from as complex
a story as the complete life of the Buddha (particularly when there
are about 1000 "literal" versions of the stories.  A work of art (and
that is what Tezuka' Buddha series is) has to be accomplished within
its own context and form. Some liberty with detail might be essential
from time to time.

I hated the (original) movie of "All the Kings Men" based on the
novel by Robert Penn Warren. I later had the opportunity to talk
about it with the author himself and complained about how awfully
they had mangled his movie. He said that he thought they had done a
pretty good job of shortening a rather long and detailed novel into a
fairly coherent movie, and he reminded me that the maker of a movie
has a completely different set of constraints and requirements from
those of a novelist.

The maker of a single, unified story of the Buddha's life, and the
creator of a graphic version to boot, has a completely different of
constraints and requirements from those of the original authors/
commentators on the Buddhas life.  I would not complain too much that
Tezuka mangad the story a bit in the interests of telling an
interesting and engaging story in a graphical format.

> A positive review of Scott McCloud's 'Understanding Comics':
> http://moonpointer.com/index.php?itemid=1925

Yes! This is an excellent book, and it would be to any one's benefit,
who has not read manga or graphic litrature to read this first. You
might become a bit more flexible about details of Tezuka's rendition
of the life of the Buddha.