[Buddha-l] Enthronment of Jetsunbma Tenzin Palmo

Kate Marshall marshallarts at bigpond.com
Thu Mar 6 16:09:34 MST 2008

> :)
> Vicki Mackenzie wrote a book about Tenzin Palmo's many years in ... a
> cave.  It must have been a mistranslation of some kind.
> The book is:
> Cave in the Snow: Tenzin Palmo's Quest for Enlightenment.
> Cheers,
> Jessica

Yes, definitely a cave.  Actually, to me, the x-post was somewhat misleading
in general.  Depending on how it is read, it could give the impression that
Tenzin Palmo entered the cave as a protest against the treatment of nuns by
their male counterparts.  This is not the case.  She went into retreat to
assist with her own enlightenment. Also starting the nunnery in Tibet wasn't
her idea.  Tenzin Palmo was asked a number of times by male Buddhists to do
this before she agreed to do so.  This was an issue dear to her in any case
and she became the figurehead for and driving force behind this reform.
However, any 'struggle' she had was due to the logistics of setting up such
an organisation and Centre.  It didn't come from the male Buddhist
community.  In fact, it seems to be giving every support and encouragement.

The above comments aren't made to belittle Tenzin Palmo's efforts and
achievements in any way.  Just trying to clear up any potential misreading
of the original x-post.

Having said all that, it's been a few years since I read 'Cave in the Snow'.
If any of the above is incorrect, please do not hesitate to say so.  Thanks!

Regards
Kate