[Buddha-l] Enthronment of Jetsunbma Tenzin Palmo

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Sat Mar 8 02:00:38 MST 2008

Hold on - Gelongma Tenzin Palmo has just been  given the title
"Jetsunma" which means something like "Venerable Lady" by the head of the
Tibetan branch of the Middle Drukpa Kagyu School.  While this is a great
and well deserved honour calling it an "enthronement" is rather over the
top - and I think Ven. Tenzin Palmo herself would not want anyone to think
of it as anything like that.

In 1974 I visited Tenzin in her cave (an overhanging rock with a mud wall built
round the front to form a small retreat place) which was at a great altitude in
the Himalyan valley of Lahoul - about an hour's walk from anyone else. The year
before her retreat had been buried under an avalanche and she couldn't light a
fire for weeks.

The "tub" may refer to the meditation seat she sat and slept in which has wood
on all sides so you have to sit upright even when you sleep - these are about
the size of a bathtub - but not as long.

- Chris