[Buddha-l] Tibet uprisings

Wong Weng Fai wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Tue Mar 18 08:53:40 MDT 2008

Joanna is right. And so too I believe is HHDL. The correct amount of
stakes have to be played. If it is about Tibetan independence, you can
forget it - the CCP+PLA will hit Tibet with all they have. However, if you
play for face (and the Chinese love face), then you can perhaps make them
do the somewhat right thing. China will want to be seen as a "grown up"
eventually. They have already showed their willingness to pour a lot of
money into Tibet. Unfortunately, it has backfired - for the prosperity
attracted the poorer Hans from other provinces to move to Tibet. I believe
it is not an intended consequence - just look at the trouble they are
having keeping migrant workers in check in the prosperous cities. HHDL has
said openly that he is not fighting for an independent Tibet but for the
preservation of its culture and dignity. The latter (no matter how hard it
seems) has a chance of being at least partially achievable. The former is
out of the question.

So too Taiwan. While China may bully them here and there, as long as the
"I" (I for Independence) word is not brought into the open, they seems
fairly ok with status quo.

W.F. Wong

PS: My personal stand is with HHDL.