[Buddha-l] Tibet uprisings

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Mar 18 09:19:43 MDT 2008

Thing is, how to exert a big "face issue" on the PRC? The major countries of
the world are just mostly cooling their heels, making weak assertions about
"human rights." They are afraid that if the Olympics this year get tarred,
their own athletes might not be able to gain a lot of face for their nations
by competing.

It will be interesting to see if down the road some athletes decide not to
go, for human rights reasons, but they will be under a lot of pressure from
their own countries.

Suspect that some alternative world groups will escalate the "boycott the
Olympics" campaign, however. Let's see how it goes.
JK
=================

Joanna is right. And so too I believe is HHDL. The correct amount of stakes
have to be played. If it is about Tibetan independence, you can forget it -
the CCP+PLA will hit Tibet with all they have. However, if you play for face
(and the Chinese love face), then you can perhaps make them do the somewhat
right thing. China will want to be seen as a "grown up" eventually. They
have already showed their willingness to pour a lot of money into Tibet.
Unfortunately, it has backfired - for the prosperity attracted the poorer
Hans from other provinces to move to Tibet. I believe it is not an intended
consequence - just look at the trouble they are having keeping migrant
workers in check in the prosperous cities. HHDL has said openly that he is
not fighting for an independent Tibet but for the preservation of its
culture and dignity. The latter (no matter how hard it
seems) has a chance of being at least partially achievable. The former is
out of the question.

So too Taiwan. While China may bully them here and there, as long as the "I"
(I for Independence) word is not brought into the open, they seems fairly ok
with status quo.

W.F. Wong

PS: My personal stand is with HHDL.