[Buddha-l] Does robots have consciousness?

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Wed Mar 19 11:35:09 MDT 2008

Gang,

I'm fiddling with ideas and videos while Tibet burns, so when Curt
wrote,

> When a computer and/or robot possesses consciousness we will know it
> because it will tell us so. Even more convincing would be a computer
> that is capable of asking itself the question "am I conscious - and
> if so, what does that mean.... and who the hell am I, anyway?"

and when Weng Fai wrote,

> In my humble opinion, the bigger threat to Tibetan culture and way
> of life (as with most of the rest of the world) in the long run is
> Hollywoodization, Disneyization, MacDonaldization, Californication
> and the like. The Chinese themselves are losing this battle.

I was a bit surprised. It seemed that talk on buddha-l had turned
disturbingly to me. As a Hollywood, California Buddhist who owns an
annual pass to Disneyland and can't figure out if I'm a robot or not
or who hell I am, anyway, I must say "I resemble that remark!"

Franz
(who at least hasn't been to McDonald's in years)