[Buddha-l] Does robots have consciousness?

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Wed Mar 19 23:35:00 MDT 2008

<< When a computer and/or robot possesses consciousness we will know it because
it will tell us so. Even more convincing would be a computer that is capable of
asking itself the question "am I conscious - and if so, what does that mean....
and who the hell am I, anyway?" >>

More than 35 years ago I recall someone asking the Tibetan lama Kalu Rinpoche
about the possibility of conciousness in computers robots etc. and he replied
that if the conditions to support conciousness existed - whether natural or
artificial - a sentient being could take rebirth there. So if someone could
build a robot capable of supporting conciousness then conciousness could "enter"
that robot - as far as he was concerned it was possible for a being to take
rebirth in/as that robot.

Some Tibetan texts, including Gampopa's "Jewel Ornament"  refer to actions
causing beings to take rebirth in "occasional hells" where conciousness is
attached to some inanimate object.

- Chris