[Buddha-l] Logic

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon May 12 10:04:19 MDT 2008

Jackhat1 at aol.com schreef:
> Is there a term for beliefs or concepts that cannot be  either disproved or
> proved, i.e., there is no evidence either way?
>
> Jack H

That depends on your philosophical preferences. Analytical philosophers would like to call it just nonsense, or statements without emperical content. I suppose Pragmatists would call it believe. Others might call it literature.
Personally I think that those statementes are a kind of symbols for believes or personal preferences. The statements about the soul for instance have a lot to do with allegence to texts about the soul or practices that relate to a soul. You might want the soul to exist or you might want to be part of the group of people that believe in the existence of a soul. So in stead of arguing about the existence of a soul it might be more informative to inquire into the motives of people who talk about it.

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950
Productie: http://stores.lulu.com/jehmsstudio