the problem of the criterion (was: Re: [Buddha-l] Logic)

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Mon May 12 12:57:06 MDT 2008

The statement

(a) "there are verifiable statements"

is itself unverifiable without resorting to circular logic. Obviously
the same is true for

(b) "there are unverifiable statements"

as well as, most importantly,

(c) "there exist independently established, universally accepted
criteria for distinguishing between statements on the basis of their
verifiability".

I think there are only three ways around this:

(1) engage in blatant intellectual dishonesty (pretending that
"(un)verifiability" is itself not subject to (un)verification - while
insisting very loudly that you are doing no such thing) - aka "special
pleading"

(2) adopt an explicitly axiomatic approach - in which one clearly says
"A, B, C, etc are assumed without verification - so there" - see, for
example, the works of Euclid, et al (aka, "reasoning" in the usual sense)

(3) take up fishing

Most people prefer option #3, while a large but vocal minority insist on
#1. And 99+% of everyone appear to be congenitally incapable of
comprehending the fact that #2 even exists as an option.

Curt Steinmetz

P.S. Every statement made in this email is false.