[Buddha-l] The course of Nature

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Mon May 26 04:06:36 MDT 2008

oops.

> Thank you, and one last question to you please, Dan.
> Do you understand this Dharma as dynamic, as an ongoing something, a
> process?
> John Willemsens.

Dharma signifies Buddha's teachings. As one studies and progresses on the
path, one is ongoing, and engaged in a process. Dharma is treated as a term
in various ways. In one sense it is constant and invariant, since many
Buddhist texts state that even if a Buddha never discovered and revealed it
to others, it would still be the case. On the other hand, when Buddha
attains enlightenment, he "turns" the Dharma-wheel, putting it in motion.
Some texts elevate some notion of Dharma to a virtual cosmological status,
such that Dharma upholds (dhaara,na; adhaara) the cosmos. Buddha said that
those who know my Dharma know me, so eventually Buddha himself is given a
cosmic form as a Dharma-body.

Are you looking for a Heraclitus of the East?

Dan