[Buddha-l] Prominent Neobuddhist proposes religion based blacklisting for government jobs

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Aug 1 16:01:20 MDT 2009

On Jul 31, 2009, at 5:12 PM, Jim Peavler wrote:

> I would think that if Harris, as is alleged, attacked a scientist's
> credentials to do a job, and Harris himself has no scientific
> credentials, then pointing out his lack of the knowledge and
> experience required to comment on another's scientific achievements,
> then that is not an ad hominem attack.

I don't think that was the gist of Harris's argument. As I understand
what I have read, Harris was not at all questioning whether Collins is
a competent scientist. Rather, he was asking whether a person who has
strong religious convictions can be counted on to apply his scientific
credentials consistently. If a scientist is capable of keeping her
religious convictions completely private and does not let her
essentially untestable religious dogmas mix in with testable
scientific hypotheses while she is doing science, then there is
nothing to worry about. But if a scientist, and especially one in a
position to make public policy, cannot keep non-scientific
considerations out of her discussions of science, then she is
incompetent. One need not be a scientist to know that. Hence, to say
of Harris that he is not as good as qualified a scientist as Collins
is a very bad argument indeed. It is informally fallacious and thus
not at all persuasive (except to Zen Buddhists, who are taught not to
think too much).

> This is no better than Rush Limbaugh declaring that global warming is
> a hoax.

This is a completely fallacious argument. EVERYTHING is better than
Rush Limbaugh.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy