[Buddha-l] Prominent Neobuddhist proposes religion based blacklisting for government jobs

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Aug 1 17:09:06 MDT 2009

On Aug 1, 2009, at 8:23 AM, Alberto Todeschini wrote:

> How about we just don't define it as a fallacy to start with?

I think a step in this direction has been made for centuries by
calling it an informal fallacy. Everyone acknowledges that informal
fallacies are not anywhere nearly as serious as formal fallacies. They
tend to be regarded more as stylistic infelicities in presentation
than as errors in logic.

> Let's just
> say that it is a type of argument which is regularly abused. So there
> are fallacious ad hominems and non-fallacious ad hominems.

That is pretty much what Copi (following centuries of predecessors in
the field of logic) said.

There is, incidentally, quite a nice entry by Leo Graorke on informal
logic in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. He goes through
several of the standard informal fallacies. On argumentam ad hominem
he has a lot to say, including this:

\begin{quotation}
Though dialogical approaches to argument assume a different
theoretical structure than fallacy theory, they invite a very similar
analysis of this example. According to Van Eemeren and Grootendorst
[1992], an instance of ad hominem is a violation of the first rule for
critical discussion, which maintains that "Parties [to a dispute] must
not prevent each other from advancing standpoints or casting doubts on
arguments." Different kinds of ad hominem (abusive, tu quoque, and
circumstantial ad hominem) are different violations of this rule. In
this case, it suffices to say that the debater's attack on his
opponent can be seen as an illegitimate attempt to deny him his right
to make a case for his position.\end{quotation} See http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-informal/

If anyone is interested is seeing how disputes involving ad hominem
argumentation have been discussed in the past, you might be amused to
read the entry on Anthony Collins (http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/collins/
) This fellow Collins was a freethinker who wrote a treatise on
freethinking. It was stridently attacked by one Richard Bently, who
said that Collins was an incompetent scholar who should not be taken
seriously because he was an atheist. Most people who have written
about this exchange have agree that Bently produced almost nothing but
ad hominem attacks on Collins's credentials. It is also widely agreed
that the ad hominem attacks were ruinous to Collins's reputation,
because people took them seriously. People were on the whole ready to
dismiss Collins, because he challenged the prevailing dogmas of his
age. Collins, it seems, was the Sam Harris of his day. DOD YOU NEED
ANY FURTHER EVIDENCE THAT THE BUDDHIST DOCTRINE OF REBIRTH IS TRUE?

Richard