[Buddha-l] The Slow Movement

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Aug 9 21:52:33 MDT 2009

On Aug 9, 2009, at 11:21 AM, Katherine Masis wrote:

> http://slowdownnow.org/

Gracias. My totemic animal is the sloth. (The coyote is only the totem
of my Shadow.) Ever since I can remember I have been a slow reader, a
slow writer, a slow talker, and a slow thinker. It took me nine years
to get a BA and another ten to get a more advanced degree. As a
practiced and unrepentant procrastinator, I was delighted to take a
superficial look at the website you brought to our attention. I plan
to explore it more throughly within the next year or so. I'm convinced
the world would be a much better place if people could learn to sit
down and watch the grass grow.

If Buddhism is done quickly, it's not Buddhism at all. For a couple of
decades now I've been meaning to denounce the doctrine of sudden
enlightenment. The very idea is a total crock. But I reckon the world
can wait for yet another pointless denunciation.

hasta mañana,
Richard