[Buddha-l] Fsat Mnifdlunses?

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Wed Aug 12 06:31:38 MDT 2009

Dan Lusthaus <vasubandhu at earthlink.net> writes

"Almost. Recognizing that karma arises from ignorance, and ignorance is
mental makes one a Yogacara. That is what vijnapti-matra means. It does
NOT mean that your mind creates the actual world. It means what you take
to be the world is a product of your mind. I trust you understand the
difference."

Yes, this much I understand. Where I get confused is that one may have a
view (intellectually) that one exists in dependence on an 'actual' world
while, being ignorant in one's apprehension,  one substitutes constructs
for this 'actual' world.  I don't see how this is necessarily limited to
the Yogacara viewpoint.

The purpose of posting my jumbled paragraph was to show the discrepancy,
on several levels, between what is constructed and what 'is'.  On a more
shallow level, one can recognise interdependence of text appearing as an
incorrect picture and concepts which interpret/correct those pictures in
an attempt to 'get at' what is real.  If I were to suggest that there is
nothing to 'get at' apart from one's own projections, then that would be
Yogacara. OK? As I have not suggested that, the same example could serve
just as well as, for example, Middle Way. Am I making any sense here, or
is this just tantamount to another jumbled paragraph?

--
Metta
Mike Austin