[Buddha-l] Fsat Mnifdlunses?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 13 19:51:02 MDT 2009

> Talking about schools seems unpromising. Talking about particular
> texts seems a better use of time.

At some point, talking about both becomes necessary and desirable. 6th and
7th c Chinese Buddhism consisted of competing forms of Yogacara Buddhism,
and one can extrapolate from their texts, translations, discussions, etc.,
about contemporary situations in India. Defining groups by their doctrinal
commitments and the arguments they make to support those commitments and
challenge their rivals goes back at least to Kathaa-vatthu, and is a
prominent feature of such abhidharma texts as the Mahaavibhaa.sa (the Kosa
is a pale echo of the diversity of arguments and positions recorded there).
It's important to identify and keep in mind the differences -- both major
and minor -- between different Yogacaras. There are major differences
between Asanga and Vasubandhu (even limiting ourselves to just the texts we
are comfortable assigning to each). But there are also features they share
that differentiates them from their Buddhist contemporaries, which, with
modifications, continued to define Yogacaras afterward. Ignoring or denying
that does not seem like a good idea.

> Given how difficult it is to get a handle on most Indian Buddhists, I
> see no alternative to being quite tolerant of those who arrive at
> different interpretations than one's own.

That's very generous, magnanimous even. One should be initially open-minded
and entertain alternative interpretations, esp. if they are challenging and
ruffle feathers and disturb complacency; but, after due consideration, when
it is determined that someone is simply wrong, it is important to point that
out. When a mistake has become embedded in the discourse so deeply that it
seems almost impossible to extirpate, all the more reason to roll up one's
sleeves and try to set the record straight. Otherwise we all become mere
dawdlers.

Yogacara was not idealism in the sense most people repeatedly claim. That is
simply a fact. That they have been accused of being idealists for at least
1500 years by opponents who wanted to make them look ridiculous is also a
fact (and hence labeling such assaults "malicious" is just). That Yogacaras
denied those charges with refutations is also a fact. That, occasionally,
some became mischievious, and, thinking there might be some upayic value in
shocking some opponents, they played with epistemological riddles that can
sound very idealist, that's also a fact. But insisting that they held
idealist ontological commitments is to completely misconstrue their project.

When someone (e.g., Pereira, Eliade) argues that Buddha -- in the Pali
texts -- is really arguing FOR an atmanic self, generosity can go just so
far. Pointing out that they are wrong, and showing why, is a duty, unless
one enjoys wading in unnecessary muck.

Dan