[Buddha-l] Fsat Mnifdlunses?

Alberto Todeschini alberto.tod at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 11:23:10 MDT 2009

Jayarava wrote:

> We are going to have one or another delusion anyway.

I've been reading quite a bit on heuristics and biases over the past
several months. I find that frequently this topic is infinitely more
relevant than philosophical discussions of epistemology or philosophy of
mind.

Anyway, that we have some delusions makes perfect sense from an
evolutionary perspective. That is, to have certain types of delusions
actually confers an evolutionary advantage. (Obviously this isn't the
case for *all* delusions)

Some other types of delusions are the result of the fact that we aren't
ideal reasoning agents. We reason under severe constraints of time,
energy (the brain uses a lot of energy), access to data, etc.

Best,

Alberto Todeschini