[Buddha-l] Fsat Mnifdlunses?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 14 17:42:02 MDT 2009

> Our experiences differ. What my experience tells me is that people do
> more harm to themselves by reacting to what other people attribute to
> them than they are harmed by having others attribute things to them. I
> gather from what he said that the Buddha's experiences were similar to
> mine on this issue.

I don't recognize your Buddha at all. The one I read about in the Nikayas
was VERY concerned that people got him right, and didn't attribute views to
him that he didn't hold. The Sati example I gave is one of many. This led to
a genre (e.g., Netti-pakarana) that elaborated on this, so that one could
tell an authentic dharma teachingfrom something misleadingly put in Buddha's
mouth or said in his name. So not only Buddha, but Buddhists were concerned
about this. Buddha's approval of Dhammadinna's preaching (the best nun at
explaining Dhamma) was to say, when questioned about her, "What she says is
what I say."

The Nikayas are full of disapproval for misattribution.

Dan