[Buddha-l] The state of buddha-l: a brief report

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sun Aug 16 15:10:19 MDT 2009

Some useful Dominik websites:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/mlbd/

Where is he now?

Joanna
=======================

-----Original Message-----
From: buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com
[mailto:buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com] On Behalf Of Richard
Hayes
Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2009 9:54 AM
To: Buddhist discussion forum
Subject: Re: [Buddha-l] The state of buddha-l: a brief report

On Aug 15, 2009, at 8:44 PM, Joanna Kirkpatrick wrote:

> Just for the record, before Richard's comment you quote from,
> yesterday I had already cross-posted Dominik's message that you
refer
> to on Buddha-L, followed by my expression of looking forward to
his
> English translation of a 17th c ayurvedic text.

Yes, you did. You also mentioned, if memory serves me well, that
he is currently doing research at the IIAS in Leiden. Alas, I
think his stint there has come to an end. It was a big
disappointment to me to find out that Dominik was planning to
leave Leiden at the end of July, because I was hoping to spend
time with him when I get there. I have never met him, but we have
corresponded since 1989. We have in common that we were both
trained by B.K. Matilal and we both have a love of traditional
Sanskrit grammatical treatises. Where the similarity ends, of
course, is that he really knows what he's talking about, and I
just dabble in it.

Dominik is not only a first-rate Indologist and founder of the
Indology list and website, but he is also an excellent computer
programmer. He helped develop the amazingly useful TeX macros for
making critical editions, which I have used for years in
preparing Sanskrit texts for my students to read. It was Dominik
who got me started in 1990 using TeX and LaTeX for typesetting
Sanskrit, and he was enormously generous with his time in helping
me get started. If you're planning to make a critical edition of
some text, consider using LEDMACS, a set of LaTeX macros that
evolved out of the EDMAC (editing macros) package that Dominik
helped develop for plain TeX.

Time for a digression. (I try to put several in each message.)
English needs a new set of verbs to cover the phenomenon of
"knowing" someone whom one has never met in person. I reckon this
could be the subject matter of a disciple called e-pistemology
(the study of those to whom we send e-pistles).

Richard