[Buddha-l] The state of buddha-l: a brief report

Alberto Todeschini alberto.tod at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 06:54:06 MDT 2009

Franz wrote:

> But this leads me to wonder if you are planning to--or are allowed to--
> present your dissertation in electronic form these days. If so, old
> conventions must fall and new ones arise like the (mandatory Buddhist
> content) mind-states that make up our lives.

Erm... your remark leads me to wonder if I am planning to--or am allowed
to-- present my dissertation in electronic form. I guess I should find
out....

By the way, the other day I noticed something that could be quite
momentous. I was skimming through a paper and it had links to
books.google.com to the texts it was quoting/referring to.

If a stable, freely accessible database were to arise (not sure that
Google Books fits the bill. Will it be there in 20 years?) that would be
amazing. So, to repeat my example, when I see

Searle, Speech Acts, 105

I could click on it and be taken to that page. This way there wouldn't
even be the need for a complete bibliography and all references would
simply turn into links.

Unfortunately, while Google Books is already extremely useful (I use it
daily), it's still missing a large amount of material relevant to
scholars of Buddhism.

Best,

Alberto Todeschini