[Buddha-l] Cittamatra and Yogacara

dorji.wangchuk at uni-hamburg.de dorji.wangchuk at uni-hamburg.de
Mon Aug 17 02:36:41 MDT 2009

> Many Tibetan writers treat Cittamatra and
> Yogacara as distinct schools
 > with quite different views - I'm wondering
> why many western writers seem
> to use the terms interchangeably and treat
> them as a single school?

- Chris

Dear Chris,

Some Tibetans, such as Shaakya mchog ldan, do
differentiate between yogaacaara and cittamaatra
(already noted in DREYFUS 1997: 433, 557, n.
14; ALMOGI 2009: 145, n. 20), but I not sure
whether Shaakya mchog ldan considered them to
be "distinct schools." Many Tibetan authors in
fact seem to consider yogaacaara, cittamaatra,
vijñaptimaatra, and so on, as different
designations for the one and the same Buddhist
school of thought. It appears that during the
early period of propagation of Buddhism in
Tibet, the standard doxographic term for what
we now call Yogaacaara was vijñaanavaada and
not yogaacaara or cittamaatra. Ye shes sde, in his
Lta ba’i khyad par, for instance, mainly employs
the term rnam par shes pa tsam du smra ba.

Perhaps it should be pointed put that there are
also nuanced observations made by Western
scholars on the employment of these terms in
general. Lambert Schmithausen
(SCHMITHAUSEN 1992: 393), for example, has
been pointed out that the terms vijñaptimaatra
and cittamaatra do not occur in the various
Indian Yogaacaara sources with equal frequency;
the Langkaavatarasuutra, for instance, prefers
cittamaatra and rarely uses vijñaptimaatra,
whereas Vasubandhu’s TriMshikaa has only the
latter term. Hartmut Buescher (BUESCHER
2008) in his recent book prefers the compound
Yogaacaara-Vijnaanavaada as the name of the
school.

Best,

Dorji Wangchuk

Department of Indian and Tibetan Studies,
Asia-Africa Institute,
University of Hamburg,
Edmund-Siemers-Allee 1 (Hauptgebäude)
20146 Hamburg, Germany