[Buddha-l] bad karma causes illness?

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Mon Aug 17 11:40:00 MDT 2009

jkirk <jkirk at spro.net> writes

>Most of the canonic ideas about the cosmic workings of kamma
>simply strike me as anciently supernatural when it comes to
>behavior, morals, and the consequences of action in daily life,
>or the question of no discoverable explanations.

To my mind, the purpose of teachings on karma is primarily as a guide to
conduct.  If one finds them suitable, then they may also help one accept
adverse conditions.  The Buddha warned about vexation due to dwelling on
the workings of karma, though.

As a guide to conduct,  it suits some people better to speak in terms of
"hiri" and "ottapa", or moral shame and moral concern.  However, I don't
know what approach such people might take when experiencing adversity.

Whatever the case,  I think much harm can be done through indiscriminate
use of the doctrine of karma, particularly in a society that seems to be
increasingly concerned with blame.

--
Metta
Mike Austin