[Buddha-l] The Happiest Man in the World

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 23 10:52:40 MDT 2009

Rahula wrote:

"Hi,

I have read somewhere that Matthieu Ricard is the happiest manin
the world, or at least among those Richardson have tested. Would
greatly appreciate if anyone can point me to the journal article.

Thanks,
Rahula"

Here are some links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthieu_Ricard
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-happiest-man-in-the-world-433063.html
http://www.odemagazine.com/doc/42/the_world_s_happiest_man/
A delightful talk of his on TED is here:
http://www.ted.com/talks/matthieu_ricard_on_the_habits_of_happiness.html
Matthieu Ricard himself just laughs when people ask him if he's the happiest man in the world.  He doesn't seem to think it's an accomplishment and has said somewhere (I'm trying to find where) that he's sure there are others just as happy if not happier than he is.  He has never proclaimed it for himself; the "title" was conferred to him by scientists as a result of brain scans and other such tests that showed activation of brain areas associated with happiness in most humans.  That's all.
Katherine