[Buddha-l] Buddhists May Help Biotechies Solve Big MentalHealthWoes, Says Merck Vet Ben Shapiro

S. A. Feite sfeite at roadrunner.com
Mon Aug 24 07:44:11 MDT 2009

On Aug 21, 2009, at 10:56 PM, jkirk wrote:

> How about the Buddhist monks who cooperate with these biz
> outfits? Too bad they don't spit on them all.

Well keep in mind, they're typically interfacing with University
profs. of excellent standing--not drug company reps.

> The reason they do
> not, of course, is that those who collaborate already are struck
> by a sense of their superior virtue, compassionately offering it
> to help the perplexed in the biz world, thinking that their
> intervention will make significant differences. Not. It could
> even teach people how to be even more manipulative than they are
> now.

Drug companies will need to consider their findings because the facts
probably are, if you have say ADHD, it would be much better to give
the child some attentional training, like Buddhist meditation, till
lasting changes take place in the brain, rather than drugging them up
of adderal or ritalin.

What insurance company would like to pay for drugs for kids, and
possibly through their adulthood, when they could attend instead a
hundred dollar course?

> Speaking of manipulative, NPR is today worse, if possible,
> than it was under Bush, today loaded with even more infotainment,
> plus that vapid "Market Watch" program that openly or subtly
> supports Republican views while we now have an alleged (?) Dem
> controlled government. Anyone ever hear that NPR program
> "Speaking of Faith"? Aargh.

Probably, I listen to NPR a good bit.

> Moving on:
>
> Wow, Steve--what kind of health insurance is that? never heard of
> one that good. Please tell us more.

It's just a typical plan by Blue Cross from what I can tell.