[Buddha-l] Phado and Buddhism

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 7 01:38:59 MST 2009

> I have always liked the immunity metaphor. Exposure to bits and pieces
> of a dead form of a once living organism [...

Innoculation does not always involve dead forms... on the contrary.

>But you were talking about there being "profound differences" between
>the two passages

Indeed there are, which are conveniently overlooked or swept aside by the
mumbo-jumbo peddlars... neo-platonic appropriations of the platonic Socrates
on the one hand, and a host of theosophizing Buddho-appropriators (including
some Buddhists) on the other. Ventriloquists treat them all (and us) like
the same sort of dummies.

As for what differentiates Plato's Socrates in the Phaedo from Buddha, I'll
leave that for you to explain to us.

Dan