[Buddha-l] Aka-lika Forum

Jamie Hubbard jhubbard at email.smith.edu
Sun Feb 22 13:47:43 MST 2009

jkirk wrote:
> Indeed, and also what I'm wondering is what to make of the sci-fi
> turn the text is taking, for ex.:
> " whereupon, 'from out of the open space under the ground'
> simultaneously spring forth vast numbers of experienced,
> dedicated bodhisattvas.... Sakyamuni declares that for countless
> ages all of these numerous bodhisattvas have been diligently
> practicing under the ground,"
>
> and
>
> "Sakyamuni declares that he himself has trained all these
> underground bodhisattvas....
> etc etc.
>
> These underground bodhisattvas remind me of a contemporary theory
> in late-night am radio of a separate world of shadow-people.
> Maybe they are the undergrounders?

Well, since the text is obviously written from a persecution point of
view, my grad adviser Minoru Kiyota simply liked the notion that
"underground" referred to underground cells of Mahayana revolutionaries.
. . but then, this was the day of the Weather Underground and whatnot. .
. so, persecuted groups who couldn't make their POV too public, and had
to stay under the radar. . . er, underground. Not so complicated.

Jamie