[Buddha-l] Aka-lika Forum

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Sun Feb 22 14:14:26 MST 2009

Tao-Sheng (ca.360-432 AD) has this very "down to earth" explanation of
the "underground bodhisattvas":

"That the earth split and the bodhisattvas welled up suggests that
living beings inherently possess an endowment for enlightenment, and it
cannot remain concealed; they are bound to break the earth of
defilements and emerge to safeguard the Dharma."

from Young Ho-Kim's "Tao-Sheng's Commentary on the Lotus Sutra: A Study
and Translation", p. 290.

Curt