[Buddha-l] CFP: Contemporary Buddhism

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Feb 23 16:24:57 MST 2009

On Mon Feb 23, 2009 at 13:48:49 MST, Joanna wrote:

> Hmmmm--"Western" Buddhism as the metonym for Contemporary
> Buddhism?
> That's a stretch.  I'm citing "western" here because it's a
> frequently used trope from the inaugural editorial by Michael
> McGhee.

Michael McGhee is one of the most interesting philosophers on the scene.
He is a Buddhist (or at least he is a dharmachari in the Western
Buddhist Order, nearly half of the members of which are in India and
thus arguably not Western). Given McGhee's skills and interests, I
suspect the Journal of Contemporary Buddhism should have some
interesting content, whether one approves the title or not. As for the
title, we could give it a Madhyamaka reading; it's just a conventional
label that serves a particular purpose and need not be taken any more
seriously than any other vacuous expression.

--
Richard