[Buddha-l] Enneagram and Buddhism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Jan 6 19:56:18 MST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 16:30 -0500, Jamie Hubbard wrote:

> Well, aside from being just plain silly (some of these questions remind
> me of the "if the boat only held two people and you had to choose
> between your five children. . . ), this test takes too much time--and
> can you believe that you have to pay *money* to waste more time?

Which test takes too much time? There are at least two free ones on the
Enneagram Institute website, one of which takes less than one minute.
There are numerous free enneagram tests on other sites, including one
that gives both an enneagram type and a Myers-Briggs. All you have to do
is answer about 100 silly questions at http://www.similarminds.com/

Of course if all one does is learn one's type, it is a complete waste of
time. Knowing your enneagram type and one dollar will get you a ride on
the Albuquerque bus system. Using the enneagram to get some insight into
what your most persistent counterproductive habits are takes quite a lot
of time. It's impossible to know whether the time has been wasted until
one has spent it. (It's a lot like real life in that respect.)

Besides, next to reading and writing messages on buddha-l, all other
wastes of time pale in comparison.

> Try this instead-- you just paste in something you have written and
> presto! Analysis!

> http://mi.eng.cam.ac.uk/~farm2//personality/demo.html

I was going to submit Finnegan's Wake to this site. (I've always
wondered what kind of guy William Jame's sister, Joyce James, might have
been.) Fortunately, the site would not load in Firefox. Saved me quite a
bit of typing.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy