[Buddha-l] Enneagram and Buddhism

Vicente Gonzalez vicen.bcn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 06:03:43 MST 2009

Richard wrote:

RH> Which test takes too much time? There are at least two free ones on the
RH> Enneagram Institute website, one of which takes less than one minute.
RH> There are numerous free enneagram tests on other sites, including one
RH> that gives both an enneagram type and a Myers-Briggs. All you have to do
RH> is answer about 100 silly questions at http://www.similarminds.com/

there is also a test in vedic numerology:
http://www.sanatansociety.org/vedic_astrology_and_numerology/calculate_your_numbers.htm

There are some historical studies about numbers and religion, in
example "The Mystery of Numbers" Oxford University Press, 1994.
Annemarie Schimmel, who was an expert in Islamic mystics. She touch
just a little on Buddhism to note a common pattern in the use of
numbers across History. In example, there are 8 auspicious Buddhist
symbols, the 8 immortals of Taoism, etc.. Tracing that use sometimes
until Pythagorean times, there is a common character of  "good
destiny" in the use of number 8.

In Buddhism, at least there is one historical although indirect use of
numbers with synchrony purposes in the use of I-Ching (see "The
Buddhist I-Ching", T.Cleary, Shambhala). I mention this because when
the I-Ching comes to the West, it was used by Leibniz to confirmate
his theories about the universe. The relation of the Leibniz's binary
code with the I-Ching was added into the western Esotericism by
checking the coincidences of the Trigram numbers explanations with
Kabbalah.

There is a real and historical use of numerology to show meanings in a
open or more esoteric way. But, Where is the connection of that use
and those explanation of the human behavior in dependence of numbers
or stars?. Musa ibn Maymun, who was the more important Kabbalist of
medieval times, wrote: "Astrology is an illness, not an science. A
shadow's tree containing all type of superstitions". When the ancient
experts in these things had such opinion of that use, one can wonder
about the convenience of these disciplines. Despite when some
astrologers were clever; in example, the astrologer of Siddharta's
father made his prophecy saying "He will do this... or the contrary
thing!".

Even if we admit the truth of some universal synchrony, the History
shows how the destiny of the people involved in these beliefs was not
better than the rest . One can read the classical heros of ancient
times, and how frequently they were people defying destiny and
prophecies using his intelligence and bollocks.
Buddha and Buddhism teach the detachment of this dream, and it include
any of its spectacles as a synchrony of numbers and stars with the
world phenomena. The attachment to that synchrony also means to be
attached and dragged by this dream.
Well, I cannot see the Dharma benefits in synchronizing oneself with
stars or numbers. One must be synchronized with Dharma, I think.

best regards,