[Buddha-l] Meanwhile Down Under

Jampa Tsedroen JampaTsedroen at gmx.de
Sun Nov 8 12:57:44 MST 2009

I just received this link:

http://dhammalight.com/

Where under Thai Sangha Laws you find this entrance:

*ANNOUNCEMENT*

“It is unallowable for any Bhikkhu to give the Going-Forth to Women

Any woman who wishes to ordain as a Samaneri, in accordance with the
Buddha’s allowances, has to be ordained by a fully ordained Bhikkhuni.
The Buddha laid down the rule that only a Bhikkhuni over 12 vassas is
eligible to be a Preceptor (pavattini).

The Buddha did not allow for a Bhikkhu to be the preceptor in this
ceremony. Unfortunately, the Bhikkhuni lineage has since faded and died
out. Since there is no more fully-fledged Bhikkhunis to pass on the
lineage, there is henceforth no Samaneris who have obtained a proper
ordination from a fully-fledged Bhikkhuni.

Therefore both the Bhikkhuni and Samaneri lineage has died out. So any
Bhikkhu who gives the going forth to a woman to become a Samaneri, it
can be said that that Bhikkhu is not acting in accordance with the
regulations the Buddha laid down. In essence, he is following his own
guidelines and diverging from the guidelines that the Buddha laid down.
This is something that will jeopardize the Buddhist Religion and is not
a good example for other Bhikkhus.

*Therefore, all monks and novices, in both Nikayas are forbidden to
ordain any woman as a Bhikkhuni, Sikkhamana, or Samaneri from this day
forth.”*

/- Phra Bancha Somdet Phra Sangharacha Jiao Gromluang Jinawarn Siriwad/*
(18 June **2471)*

              An Official Announcement from the Sangha Committee Meeting
minutes, Book 16 pp157

What I heard is that it seems that the 1928 ruling has nothing to do
with a 'Sangha Act', or with the Mahatherasamakhom, but is an Official
Announcement from the Sangha Committee Meeting minutes, Book 16 pp157.

Jampa Tsedroen