[Buddha-l] Meanwhile Down Under

Bankei bankei at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 14:42:54 MST 2009

Dear Jampa

I have a small booklet entitled:
"Acts on the Adminstration of the Buddhist Order of Sangha in Thailand, BE
2245, BE 2484, BE 2505" Published by Mahamakuta Educational Council 1989.

This book contains the 3 most recent Sangha Acts of 1902, 1941 and 1962.
There is no mention of a 1928 Act, I have done some searches and can find a
lot of vague references to a 1928 Act, but cannot actually find anything
specific. Maybe there is no such Act. Even if there were the later Acts
repeal the earlier ones (Article 3 of the 1962 Act).

Anyway, I quick searched through  all three Acts (1902, 1941 and 1962) and
can find nothing mentioning the ordination of women or Bhikkhuni etc.

Incidentally, there are some interesting disrobing offences in listed.
Article 29 of the Act of 1962 states that a Bhikkhu accused of a crime and
arrested can be disrobed even before going before court and being convicted.
Other matters covered include Sangha property, appointment of council of
elders and ranks etc.

Regards

Bankei