[Buddha-l] curious

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 24 13:56:05 MST 2009

JKirkpatrick schreef:
> Hmmm---interesting. Recently I read an article somewhere (New
> Yorker I think it was) about young artists in China painting
> kitsch for the tourist market and also amazingly for export to
> the USA!! like postcard scenes of bridges in Venice!  I wonder if
> some of those imperial family paintings were recent and not
> antiques.

No, because these are not attractive to tourists. Tourist like romantic
scenes of bamboo and mountains and there are plenty of them around. I 'm
not an expert, but some of the stuff, like cupboards and glasswork,
looked real old. These items are not interesting for tourists. I've also
spotted old painting scrolls  which were very common a century ago.
> If feng shui is on the rise then new, elaborate family tombs are
> not far behind (as I saw when I visited Vietnam).

Those never went away.
> Did you find anything nice when going through those antique
> markets?
Oh yes, but I'm not an expert and not a buyer, I like to imagine how it
used tobe for people to live with these old utensils and furniture.

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950
Productie: http://www.olivepress.nl