[Buddha-l] bodhi

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Thu Nov 26 09:49:25 MST 2009

Dan et al.,

Dan, I appreciate your valiant work in problematizing the uncritical
use of "awake*" to render "budh*". "Enlightenment" is an awful
translation of "budh," but it's not entirely unusable, as you and
Steven Collins seem to be saying. (And that's not bad company to be
in!) Further, I'm reminded of Amitabha and especially Amitayus, and
the work Paul Mus did in connecting them to Zoroastrian influences. I
think it was in the avant-propos to _Borabudur_, but it might have
been in _Le Buda Paré_. It was a long time ago, but the point is well
taken that "enlightenment" seems a good fit for the radiance of these
Buddhas and the blissful experience we might have in their Pure Lands.
And of course this is all in addition to your comments on the use of
"radiance" in the Linji line (though I don't remember it in Dogen).

It is *because* of all this that you've made me consider, that I can't
agree when you write,

> So the light model does not conform to transcendent other-power
> paradigm
> both you and Artur are wary of.

That is going too far. Surely this model, like light itself being both
a particle and a wave, does both. It conforms (in Pure Land
traditions) and it doesn't (in Chan traditions). Perhaps the latter is
somehow more palatable, being indigenously Chinese, rather than Middle-
eastern?

But don't let me dissuade you from fighting the good fight of pulling
comfortable assumptions out from under us. Just don't let it make you
miss the cutting of the turkey.*

Franz

*A reference to a Thanksgiving scene from Barry Levinson's wonderful
film, "Avalon."