[Buddha-l] bodhi

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Sat Nov 28 20:18:56 MST 2009

Perhaps that is why Brahma Sahampati appears at Uruvela and
entreats the fresh winner (the Jina) of the bodhi to share it
with suffering humanity.

If one obtains something (my Oxford Polish-English Dictionary
tells me) , one is mainly getting what was given or offered
(degree, visa, permission, information, votes, money, prize,
etc.)

Light - yes, numerous metaphors. But also metaphors of victory.

Artur K.

If I may........perhaps the better operative term would be "to
attain" rather than "to obtain," since to attain something refers
usually to one's own effort. We don't say he "attained the prize"
or the medal, but we do say he "attained victory."
But language being what it is, exceptions no doubt lurk
everywhere.

Beest, Joanna K.