[Buddha-l] bodhi

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 28 16:24:22 MST 2009

Artur,

Sorry that the earlier message arrive garbled. It contained unicode --
perhaps that confused one of the intermediary servers. I've resent that to
you offlist -- hopefully it arrived in better shape.

As to:

> adhigata (PED 28) - "got into possession of, conquered, attained, found".
> This selection of meanings seems to exclude that one-way exchange between
> the giver and the receiver. What is suggested is possessing, winning.
> Attaining, not obtaining. Finding.

That is an interesting distinction you are drawing. Since "got possession
of", "found," "attains" implies that the obtaining has already taken place,
I'm not sure the distinction holds in the long run. I also don't think there
is much difference -- in English [or Pali] -- between attaining and
obtaining. In modern parlance we might be more inclined to say HIllary
"attained" Everest's peak, but "obtained" is not incorrect to use in that
instance, just a bit more archaic. There are some modern idiomatic
distinctions (one is more likely to say "he obtained a PhD" than "he
attained a PhD", but either could be said, depending on circumstance, and
the more colloguial phrase would be "he got a PhD"). So obtain, attain and
got are virtual synonyms. Do you get what I mean? Doesn't Polish have verbs
similar to "get" that are used for "to understand, to *get* the point,"
etc.?

As I noted in the original message, in which I also included the PTS
Dictionary definition for adhigata, the term adhigata is a past participle
of adhigacchati. I also included the PTS Dict. definition for Adhigacchati

Adhigacchati [adhi + gacchati] to get to, to come into possession of, to
acquire, attain, find; fig. to understand D i.229 (vivesam) M i.140
[,,,] S i.22

Note that it *literally* means to get to, to come into possession of, to
acquire, attain. It also has a *figurative* meaning, "to understand."

I also included a famous line from the Madhyamaka-karika, echoing the same
language:

paramaartham anaagamya nirvaa,na,m naadhigamyate
"if paramartha is not attained, nirvana is not be attainable.

For the record Monier-Williams offers: "adhi-gamya mfn. attainable,
practicable to be learnt."

cheers,
Dan