[Buddha-l] bodhi

Artur Karp karp at uw.edu.pl
Sat Nov 28 17:15:29 MST 2009

At 00:24 2009-11-29, you wrote:
>Artur,
>

>As to:
>
> > adhigata (PED 28) - "got into possession of, conquered, attained, found".
> > This selection of meanings seems to exclude that one-way exchange between
> > the giver and the receiver. What is suggested is possessing, winning.
> > Attaining, not obtaining. Finding.
>
>That is an interesting distinction you are drawing. Since "got possession
>of", "found," "attains" implies that the obtaining has already taken place,
>I'm not sure the distinction holds in the long run. I also don't think there
>is much difference -- in English [or Pali] -- between attaining and
>obtaining.

Adhi-gacchati suggests result of the actor's initiative. He attains,
conquers, he finds. By himself, for himself.

Perhaps that is why Brahma Sahampati appears at Uruvela and entreats the
fresh winner (the Jina) of the bodhi to share it with suffering humanity.

If one obtains something (my Oxford Polish-English Dictionary tells me) ,
one is mainly getting what was given or offered (degree, visa, permission,
information, votes, money, prize, etc.)

Light - yes, numerous metaphors. But also metaphors of victory.

Artur K.