[Buddha-l] bodhi

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Sat Nov 28 18:22:33 MST 2009

Dan and Artur,

I appreciate Dan's careful work and I can't say that I've found
anything online to support my visceral feeling here, but I do feel a
difference between "attain" and "obtain." So I fall on the side of the
OPED. Clearly each verb reaches (literally) back to the French "tenir"
for the main action. But whatever the etymological difference or lack
of it between between "at" and "ob," my nuanced contemporary take on
the difference in meaning between "attain" and "obtain" is that the
former merely refers to something one gets from one's effort. It may
or may not be deeded to one by an external source. But the latter
*must* be deeded over to the actor who obtains it. To bring this back
to Buddhism--if such a thing is permissible--enthusiasts of schools
advocating  the "Buddha Nature" might prefer "attain," while followers
of schools, such as the Theravada, advocating the achievement of
"states' and "fruits" might prefer the latter.

But to repeat, this is all based on something I cannot support
linguistically, let alone prove. It is simply a sense I have as an
educated and experienced English speaker and writer, that one might
"attain" something without a donor, but one must "obtain" something
from an external source.

Dan's example from the philosophical literature goes against my
argument. What can I say? To paraphrase Walt Whitman, English
contradicts itself. Very well, it is large; it contains multitudes.

Franz