[Buddha-l] bodhi

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 28 18:50:55 MST 2009

Franz,

That's the intrigue and power of language. Despite what it supposedly
"officially" means, we all have our own acquired "sense" of what it implies
to us. What's amazing is that any of us manage to communicate at all. Word
pundits (like the late William Safire) delighted in pointing out how our
"sense" of words, as well as our usage, was often misguided and in ignorance
of the facts.

In the case of obtain, of the three examples I obtained and passed on (and
no one "deeded" them to me), the first, from Cambridge, speaks loudly
against Franz's sense:

obtain verb (GET)
[T] to get something, especially by asking for it, buying it, working for it
or producing it from something else
to obtain permission
First editions of these books are now almost impossible to obtain.
In the second experiment they obtained a very clear result.
Sugar is obtained by crushing and processing sugar cane

Breaking this down, it says basically "obtain" means "to get." It does carry
some connotations (not denotations), so that it applies "especially" when
the getting is done: (1) by asking for it, (2) buying it, (3) working for it
or (4) producing it from something else.

It then provides usage examples of each, respectively:
(1) to obtain permission
(2) First editions of these books are now almost impossible to obtain.
(3) In the second experiment they obtained a very clear result.
(4) Sugar is obtained by crushing and processing sugar cane

Arguably (1) and (2) require someone else from whom something is acquired.
But that is not the case in examples (3) and (4). I don't think the
Cambridge Dictionary intended the list of four as a prioritized hierarchy.

If we wished to gloss these meanings further, we might say "obtain"
indicates a result through a process, where the agent acquires something not
previously in his possession, either from another or through his labors.
Yes?

So, Buddhistically, whether we say he attains such-and-such a realization,
or obtains such and such a state, both have the problem of tenir -- to take,
possessiveness, acquisition, etc. That is why abhidharmic and Yogacara
literature usually treat upadana (appropriation) as the most important of
the 12 links of conditioned co-arising. It permeates everything, including
the practice of Buddhism. Meditators meditate to "get" a glimpse, to obtain
a living condition previously unavailable. The gamya term (adhigamya, etc.)
is about getting, about accessibility (including sexual accessibility -- see
Monier-Williams). The Indians speak of "getting" the meaning as how language
works (referentiality -- the word refers by getting the artha, or making the
artha accessible for getting by the language hearer); perception is about
"apprehending" the object (artha). Tenir is everywhere...

Dan