[Buddha-l] buddha-l gathering

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 04:51:03 MST 2009

Hi Richard,

Enjoying North Europe? I regret not having been around for your
pilgrimage to Antwerp.
I hardly ever pronounce my first name, others take care of that, mostly
in very creative ways. My friend from Taiwan is the nearest to the right
pronunciation. He calls me Yo Yi. Now if you manage to remove the "i"
from the second syllable (which it doesn't have originally) of my name,
you'd probably beat my friend's pronunciation.

As for the difference between obtain and attain, if the French can be of
any help as Franz and others seem to suggest, attain has a strong
spatial notion to it. If you attain Nirvana, you probably travelled
there. If you obtain it, you must have been begging for it on your
knees, manoeuvring people and using your influence etc. and you haven't
been taking no for an answer. Most of the time Nirvana doesn't
appreciate people like that. It likes to play hard to get.

This is the best French online dictionary I am aware of at the moment.

http://atilf.atilf.fr/dendien/scripts/tlfiv4/showps.exe?p=combi.htm;java=no;