[Buddha-l] buddha-l gathering

Blezer, H.W.A. H.W.A.Blezer at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Sun Nov 29 14:49:40 MST 2009

It is definitely a good thing that Richard finally clarified who was
the fourth Buddha-l mystery veteran, at the Antwerp gathering. It
indeed was the Buddha herself, in the form of Saint Josaphat, presumed
to be present as a pile of dry bones in a silver reliquary, in the St.
Andrieskerk (emphasis is on "dries").

Pious local Catholics had barely finished cleaning & polishing the
silverware when we arrived (and, alas, subsequently have had to
conceal it from sight, to prevent further soiling). A donation by
wealthy tenured Buddha-l members to the mentioned church for these
exact purposes (do mention the XXXVI Saints!) will facilitate future
display in a glass container -- surely of immeasurable benefit to
later generations of pilgrims!

Unlike the other veterans, I went speechless for most of the day --
that's what relics do to born Catholics (we don't believe we are born
again) -- and, hey, since Stefan and Erik were there, it was not
necessary to say much anyway. So, I didn't; at least not anything that
made much sense (would that count as "muni" as well??).

I therefore traveled more or less incognito. But Richard seems to have
sensed the presence of something left unspoken or implied (according
to some ancient religious doctors, in Buddhist realms, beings are only
visible to those of one's own class or above).

Instead, I have devoted myself to the more simple practice of
generating merit. Such as finding *seriously* pink paper cups for
impromptu libations to the gathered buddhas of the four directions
(unfortunately, the cups were way too large to cover up the quite
modestly sculpted nudity of the Antwerp Manneke Peace, at the Tibet
Instituut in Schoten -- I have a sneeking suspicion that a foresighted
individual there may have wanted to anticipate on those obnoxiously
politically hypercorrect individuals who insist on referring to the
Buddha by female gender).

In that lovely retro Belgian Jazz Café called Muze, which Richard
mentioned, we were also joined by good local folk & sprite, in varying
stages of inebriation. I am not sure whether they too once were words
on Buddha-l (in the beginning there was ...) -- how could one tell if
their speech was thus affected by locally brewed spirits. But for all
I know, they may well be the folks on our list who are responsible for
that occasional, garbled message.

For the next venue, I recommend tar and feathers, as a dressing code,
or at least carrying an 'serious' umbrella and paper cups.

Namo Josaphato,

Henk

Message: 5