[Buddha-l] a worthwhile read--Red Pine (BIll Porter) interviewed

Elvin Eldridge elvineldridge at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 12:48:55 MDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 6:16 AM, Dan Lusthaus <vasubandhu at earthlink.net>wrote:

> > I read the scholars review of Bill Porters book "Two Entrances and Four
> > Practices" (I can't find a reference now, but I remember the point),
> >
> > The review said the two entrances were called liru and xingru. Liru
> should
> > have the meaning of "enterance by principle" and xingnu should have the
> > meaning of "entrance by practice". And the first one means a kind of
> > sudden
> > enlightenment entrance and the second one means a kind of gradual
> > practice.
> > But Porter tanslated liru as "entry by rationality," which the reviewer
> > said
> > is a complete misunderstanding.
>
> The reviewer is full of crap. 理 li means a lot of things. "Principle" has
> become a kind of mindless default equivalent used by lots of so-called
> scholars, not realizing that they are buying into Neo-Confucian
> developments
> and usages of the term, not home-grown Buddhist usages.

I wonder what Homegrown means in a case like this becasue I read in books by
cleary , Chang ,  and Frances Cooke and others about the Hua-yen Buddhism
and I think they always called the Li as "principle." So it seems like
Principal is also Homegrown maybe even more HOmegrown than Rationalty which
I never saw in teh Hua-yen or Zen Buddhism book. I dont say Im an expert on
it but I think I saw Principle more than other translations. And they didn't
talk about Confucius either.

Elvin