[Buddha-l] a worthwhile read--Red Pine (BIll Porter) interviewed

Elvin Eldridge elvineldridge at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 13:52:00 MDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 3:48 AM, Elvin Eldridge <elvineldridge at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 6:16 AM, Dan Lusthaus <vasubandhu at earthlink.net>wrote:
>
>> > I read the scholars review of Bill Porters book "Two Entrances and Four
>> > Practices" (I can't find a reference now, but I remember the point),
>> >
>> > The review said the two entrances were called liru and xingru. Liru
>> should
>> > have the meaning of "enterance by principle" and xingnu should have the
>> > meaning of "entrance by practice". And the first one means a kind of
>> > sudden
>> > enlightenment entrance and the second one means a kind of gradual
>> > practice.
>> > But Porter tanslated liru as "entry by rationality," which the reviewer
>> > said
>> > is a complete misunderstanding.
>>
>> The reviewer is full of crap. 理 li means a lot of things. "Principle" has
>> become a kind of mindless default equivalent used by lots of so-called
>> scholars, not realizing that they are buying into Neo-Confucian
>> developments
>> and usages of the term, not home-grown Buddhist usages.

And OK about homegrown, I checked two books, by Kenneth Chen and Wingsit
Chen and both books say that the Hwa-yen and Chinese Zen came before the
NeoConfucism which was from Chushi. That means Li of Principle is before
Chushi. So I think we can say that

Li of Principle (Hwa-yen) = home grown

Li of Rationality = un home grown

Maybe I'm wrong but thats what these books said.

Elvin