[Buddha-l] Fwd: H-NET BOOK REVIEW>Edelglass and Garfield, eds., Buddhist Philosophy: Essential Readings

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 15 16:46:34 MDT 2009

Hi Franz,

Yes, the reviewer, Eric Nelson, was kind enough to voice appreciation of my
efforts on behalf of the besmirched so-called pudgalavadins -- a discussion
which got its first public airing right here on this list.

Writing a review of a sprawling anthology like the Garfield-Edelgrass volume
is a daunting task, much more difficult than it would appear to someone
who's never attempted to do such a thing. Finding ways to summarize and
capture the essence of what may be complex arguments and issues in one essay
in a mere sentence or so is not easy, especially if it bears little relation
to the contiguous essays. Finding common threads and doing justice to each
contribution is difficult.

I do concur with the reviewer that Richard's presentation of Dignaga in that
volume is splendid -- crisp, concise, lucid, insightful and accurate.

Dan