[Buddha-l] A different Buddhism filmi--

JKirkpatrick jkirk at spro.net
Thu Apr 8 12:12:33 MDT 2010

Last night I watched this film on PBS Independent: Unmistaken
Child, about Tibetan Gelugpa Buddhists searching for a
reincarnated teacher, Konchog Lama of Kopan Monastery in Nepal
(but mostly he of Milarepa's old cave up in the mountains).
Because it was screened again on another PBS channel I got to
watch it twice.

The only flaw this time, for me anyway and it's a persisting
gripe about a lot of films, was the constant musical background
noise. Places where chanting is appropriate--fine. But even the
nicest music becomes muzac to my ears when you cannot hear the
sounds of nature, or people, uncluttered by a soundtrack.

There's a lot of glorious nature in Unmistaken Child as the young
monk goes searching into the hills. There are touching scenes of
families with possible infant candidates, where you can't hear
them conversing because of the incessant muzac.  The filmmaker
Nati Baratz did this one, and he took 4 years making it because
he had to keep going back as the baby's life moved forward toward
the time when he's taken to meet HHDL. No hired actors. It took
the filmmaker some time to get permission to make this film, and
he did a bang up job of it. HHDL names the toddler--he's his
usual brisk self--the young monk on the search (for his late
teacher) is thoughtful, comforting with the toddler, quiet and so
happy once his old teacher is found. The film does not desert the
child's parents, either.

joanna