[Buddha-l] buddha-l Digest, Vol 66, Issue 7

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Aug 7 13:33:35 MDT 2010

On Aug 7, 2010, at 9:12 AM, michael wilson wrote:

> I have been to Nalanda a couple of times and it, like Lumbini and Kushinagar is
> in really poor and kind of off the beaten track places.  I imagine this was why
> Buddha chose these places to be born, teach, and to die.

It may be worth recalling that places that are now off the beaten track were thriving in times past, and vice versa. That said, the Buddha did seem to have a penchant for annoying Cousin Ānanda by spending time in insignificant little villages of wattle and daub out behind the back of beyond. That shows remarkably good taste, in my opinion.