[Buddha-l] Is this true?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 25 01:12:14 MDT 2010

Dear Justin,

Thanks for emphasizing that Gombrich has more to say on the subject than
just that passage.

The passage that Shen Shi'an passed on to us is online at
http://tinyurl.com/3xuclqa
but no attribution is provided.

In fact, it comes from Gombrich's How Buddhism began: the conditioned
genesis of the early teachings, Cambridge U Press, 1996, pp 8-9. So this is
something he did indeed write, albeit roughly fifteen years ago.
http://tinyurl.com/32jkro7

I did read What the Buddha Thought a little while back, and my impression is
that what you say, viz. that he also embraces the idea of Buddha himself as
the origin for much of what is in the Pali canon, etc., is indeed the case;
but he utilizes an uncomfortable shifting of registers to do so. These were
originally lectures, yes? Latitude is allowed in oral presentations, since
documentation can be tedious and ineffective in front of a live audience,
while some rhetorical flourishes can keep an audience alert.

He does, for instance, almost as an article of faith, confidently assert
that "the Pali version of the suttas and Vinaya stand unrivaled as our
oldest evidence..." (99) And he does point out that "In Burma in the twefth
century grammarians systematized Pali grammar and prosody, thus exercising
considerable influence on how the language was written thereafter, both in
Burma and elsewhere." (ibid) As I suggested, I think this likely happened
numerous times, including during Buddhaghosa's day, a good seven or so
centuries earlier. On the same page he complains -- rightly -- that current
scholarship has not done enough rudimentary philological work on the texts
(e.g., determining stemma, etc.) to advance an answer on how "modern" (his
word) the received versions are (and he even wonders if they ever will be
able to decide that). He then largely reiterates the traditional account of
the canon formation (Buddha or monks speak, the "councils" or recitations
recite, eventually put down in writing, etc.). He offers the possibility of
accurate oral transmission, citing what others have said about the Vedas,
and so on.

He then discusses K.R. Norman's piece on the first sermon, Norman
demonstrating that it could not have been an introductory sermon at all
since (1) it rhetorically presupposes that the audience is already familiar
with the main topics, and (2) is presented in a style that "reeks of the
systematizers who produced the abhidhamma and before that certain
doxographical texts like the last two suttas of the Digha Nikaya." (p. 103)

Here is how Gombrich resolves this for himself: "In my view, it was
remembered [by the Buddhist redactors -- DL] that the Buddha began his
preaching with the Middle Way, the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold
Path; this can never be certain, but it is perfectly plausible. However,
what he said about them on that occasion was not clearly remembered, for
surely no one at that stage made a 'text' of it. Moreover, the 'first
sermon' that has come down to us is chock full of metaphors and technical
terms which the Buddha at that stage has not yet explained." (ibid)

That, I guess, is his own middle way -- between admitting it is a later
constructed fiction and accepting it as an historical transcript. But other
scenarios and explanations are also "plausible". (e.g., Middle Way, Four
Noble Truths, etc. had BECOME, at some point, central teachings for the
community of redactors but have nothing to do with whatever might have been
Buddha's initial teachings, long forgotten, since it would be years before
Ananda, Sariputta, Moggalana, etc. would join up and listen, and the last
two mentioned died before he did, so they would have had no input into the
"council" recitations, but I digress...).

He makes some further assertions (that the received version is from the time
of the Second Council), but the curious can read this for themselves. (p.
104) What he says about the Lotus Sutra in contrast to the Pali texts can be
found on p. 165.

He offers as one of his arguments for accepting the early authenticity of
the canon the fact that commentaries reiterate the root texts. But if, as
pointed out above, the commentators were the redactors, tweaking and
updating the texts as they went along writing their commentaries, this would
hardly constitute convincing evidence.

I think the passage in question could have been expressed in a more prudent
fashion.

Dan