[Buddha-l] Oops--Article is from NY Times

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Aug 28 07:14:04 MDT 2010

On Aug 27, 2010, at 22:09, sjziobro at cs.com wrote:

> Isn't the word for "sin" in Greek "hamartia," which means to miss the mark or err?  Stan

Yes, that is what I learned in classes on the New Covenant. As you noted, hamartia is linked to hubris, which in theology is seen as the view that one is independent of God and can think for oneself rather than having to rely on divine guidance. In Buddhism and Jainism, I claim, there is no place for a concept like hamartia in it's theological sense, although a case could be made for there being a strong concern for the deleterious effects of hubris, which is not unlike abhimāna and asmitā (arrogance and self-absorption)—both of which are prerequisites for success in the modern academic world.

Richard