[Buddha-l] Make the subscription list visible to subscribers?

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Wed Feb 3 08:19:54 MST 2010

On Feb 2, 2010, at 11:26 AM, Richard Hayes wrote:
 Such shenanigans make me long for the days when only government employees and a few scatter-brained academics had e-mail accounts. When AOL came along, the neighbourhood starting going to hell, and there it has remained ever since.

> born yesterday,
> Richard Hayes

I remember with horror the first day that the good Mr.Gore's idea that since the tax payers were paying for the internet then the tax payers should have access to the internet. By the time I arrived for work (about 7am MST) that morning the internet was already frozen. There was simply not enough bandwidth in the world to handle AOL all at once. We sat around watching our inboxes slowly (and I mean sloooowly) fill up with spam. (It wasn't called spam yet -- we just called it junk mail.) Many of our projects, nearly all of which were being developed by teams from all over the country and abroad, were simply paralyzed for days or weeks. I had to end my game of chess with an online friend (a quantum chemist at Oxford who was a LOT better than I was at chess). I miss the good old days. But not the lopsided chess game so much.

Jim Peavler
jmp at peavler.org