[Buddha-l] On Hemorrhoids and Sitting Meditation

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 22:06:13 MST 2010

Once upon a time I belonged to a zen center that did **not** practice the Middle Way.  A bunch of us developed hemorrhoids.  I recall one sesshin or retreat back in the year 2000 (the year I left) in which I, who love homeopathy, herbs and acupuncture, ingested way too much aspirin just to get through the retreat.

In answer to Dan's question, yes, hemorrhoids have a lot to do with the sitting position(s).  I have gone through some very sedentary stages in my life during which I didn't develop any.  They started after I moved to that zen center.  Hemorrhoids are common among lay Buddhist practitioners who do a lot of sitting meditation at home too, not just monks.

There are safe, alternative, and very effective non-surgical treatments for hemorrhoids.  If anyone on Buddha-L is hem-stricken, you may contact me off-list and I can provide you with some links.  Mine were completely cured long ago.

How's that for Buddhist content?

Katherine Masis