[Buddha-l] Ts'ao-ch'i or Caoxi?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 25 15:55:37 MST 2010

Hi Mitchell,

> why it is that the Wade-Giles references were mostly all to the Ts'ao-ch'i
> pronunciation and the Pinyin to the other, Caoqi (in W-G, ts'ao-hsi)?

I don't know. There may be a specific answer (e.g., local preference), but
more likely someone started to transcribe it one way, and everyone else just
followed suit (there is a lot of that sort of falling in line in East Asian
studies). While theoretically either pronunciation is possible, the locals
probably say it one way or the other, not either way. Whether either the W-G
or pinyin are based on actual local pronunciation, or just the preferences
and hunches of armchair sinologists, I don't know.

Is this important, or just a matter of curiosity?

Dan